Thursday 9 April 2015

BEDA #9 - BEDA fail...

Well that went spectacularly well didn't it...let's just continue as if I never fooled myself into thinking I'd be able to blog for 30 days straight.

On Easter Sunday we had a little get together for a friend who's moving to the Netherlands in a couple of days (still not really willing to admit it's got that close), of course, this was the perfect excuse to get baking. I ended up making two cakes, a chocolate one for him, and a lemon drizzle on request from his girlfriend who's moving out to join him in a few months.

The chocolate cake...it definitely tasted as good as it looked.

The recipe I used for the chocolate cake was Nigella Lawson's devils food cake, with a simple chocolate buttercream rather than her fancy frosting (I was being lazy), and as it was Easter, the obligatory mini eggs to decorate.

This is definitely a recipe I'll be using again as the cake tasted great and was very well received.

The slightly less photogenic lemon drizzle (which ended up with an unplanned lemon buttercream in the middle.
This is my go-to Lemon Drizzle recipe, I've been using it for years and have no idea where it came from in the first place...probably the BBC Good Food site as it was certainly before I started following a load of wonderful cakey bloggers. I ended up turning it into a bit of a sandwich cake with a lemon buttercream in the middle too.

It's the simplest of methods, beat the butter and sugar, add the eggs one at a time, then fold in the flour, mix in the lemon juice and then the zest by hand, stick it in the oven at 180°C and you're good to go. I've not actually bothered writing down cooking times as I never follow them anyway, I find checking it after about 18mins and then as needed after that works fine for me.


Lemon Drizzle Cake

For the cake:
8oz caster sugar
8oz unsalted butter
8oz self-raising flour
4 medium eggs
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon

For the drizzle:
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Roughly 1.5 tablespoons caster sugar
(I do this bit by eye)

(Optional) Lemon Buttercream:
115g softened unsalted butter
500g icing sugar
Lemon juice until it tastes suitably lemony
(Again I tend to just guess amounts with my buttercream)




No comments:

Post a Comment